Saturday, April 5, 2008

Update on Memere

My Memere is still hanging on to this world, but most likely just days away from Heaven. It is very hard for us to imagine. As a doula I've spent many days waiting for a phone call from a mother in labor to let me know of the impending birth. Births are happy (even when they are really hard). Death is so hard for those of us that are left behind, the death of a loved one is so often the farthest thing from a celebration. For Memere though, she is just days away from a celebration (as hard as it is for us on earth to imagine)...she will see Jesus, be reunited with loved ones-- including her mother who died when she was just six years old, she will see clearly, and she will be pain and cancer free.

In the last five years or so Mem fell in love all over again to a much younger man...a singer from Ireland named Daniel O'Donnell. Throughout most of my life, I never really considered her a music lover, but since discovering "her Daniel" Mem would travel with her CD player and headphones and really enjoy her music. My Aunt Cheryl contacted Daniel O'Donnell's fan club recently in the hopes of getting the message to Daniel that one of his greatest fans was dying. Daniel O"Donnell himself actually called Memere from England yesterday and sang 'How Great Thou Art' to her over the phone!! In honor of Mem, I just added the only Daniel O'Donnell song that I could find to my blog playlist.

6 comments:

Steph C. said...

WOW Julie, that is AMAZING!!! I hope she heard it and knew it was him...such a beautiful thing to do for her...she is so well loved by you all! This woman has had a wonderful life! I pray peace for your family in this difficult time of waiting....hold on dear sister!
We love you!

tuckersmom432 said...

What a wonderful thing for Cheryl to do! And what a great guy Daniel O'Donnell is to make that phone call!
I hope that she is comfortable and at peace in her final days.

crispy said...

How special to have a tribute like that to her. It is so neat to see the little things that people do that mean so much.

It is so neat to hear your love and admiration for your grandmother.

BTW, I didn't know you are a doula. I love learning new things about people.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tiffany said...

That is soooo cool! What a neat man to be willing to do that.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.