Friday, September 2, 2011

part 2...maybe not

I'm overdue on the continuation of my last post. I'm not really feeling it right now though, and I'm 'longer' overdue on the book post from about 2 months ago. We'll start with that and see where this leads.

In the last few weeks I've read some really good books like The Help, I really loved it and the movie too. I felt like the movie was really close to the book and the characters were very much how I pictured them. I had just finished the book too and it still was close. Often because I read so many books by the time I see the movie I've forgotten enough of the book to make it seem similar enough, but this time I remembered it all and it was still really close. I'm not the first one to have said that either. I also read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I liked it. I didn't love it though, this book is written as a series of letters and I just skimmed some of the letters. Then I read Stink Alley. This is a kid/young adult, historical fiction book about when the Pilgrims went to Holland before they came to America. It is part of Madi's History curriculum for this year (she hasn't read it yet). It was a quick easy read and I really enjoyed it. Two days ago I finished my favorite of all of these Miles to Go, I LLOOOVVVEEEEDDDD it!! It is the second in The Walk series. I read The Walk sometime in the last year. I don't remember when, but I do remember that I read a lot of it on the bike at the gym. I just found out from amazon that the third book in the series isn't coming out until April...I don't wanna wait that long! Go read these books! I am fighting a little bit of a sore throat and after some really busy days and a busy morning introducing a couple friends to the 'fine art of wheat grinding' (haha), {and supervising a little schoolwork}, I spent most of yesterday afternoon and evening reading most of The Duggars 20 and Counting, not great literature of course, but it's keeping me interested. Jake and I are still reading Farmer Boy, which is as slow (but nice) as it was the last two times I read it aloud. We are all reading Sideways Stories from Wayside School aloud because we are going to see the play in a few weeks. The best word to describe this book is lame (but kinda funny). It is no where near as good as Holes which is also by Louis Sachar.

Ok all those links wore me out! We're schooling like usual around here, fitting in virtual school, high school level classes, and spelling tests around beach days and visits with out of town friends. Next week Mike is off of work and in additon to school we'll be doing some rental house work (yuck!) and some camping at Fort Wilderness (yeah!). We are going to Night of Joy at Disney Friday and Saturday nights next week (though we didn't get our tickets yet, do they sell out?!). Next Saturday in the day though, Jonathan and I will have to leave Fort Wilderness so he can begin 5 weeks of "behind the wheel driver training". I am NOT ready for this!!

Rumor has it that the PSAT is being given on October 15. By Rumor I mean the College Board website. I called the local highschool again YESTERDAY (Sept 1) to register Jonathan and the GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT still didn't know a thing about it!! UGh!! The lady took my number and said she'll call me back...we'll see. I have to say I'm glad I'm not trusing my child's education to those people. (It's my blog and I can say that!)



1 comment:

ann marie said...

I feel like all of my reading lately has been revolving around the kids school. I love it, but at the same time, I am dying to read something for just myself. PSAT? Just thinking about that makes me nervous. Hoep you get some info soon!