Tuesday, May 11, 2010

From the Learning Rooms...

Since I gave up the Daybook, and life seems to be getting in the way all the time, it's been awhile since I talked about our actualy schoolwork. This is Winchester ACADEMY afterall, so here's an update...

Jonathan is preregistered for two online high school classes that he will begin in July. This is new territory for us. He will be taking English I and Spanish I. In addition, he'll be doing Apologia Physical Science, Teaching Textbooks Geometry, some kind of ancient history, and Faith, Theatre, volunteering, working out at the gym etc...etc.. I'm not sure what history we'll be doing yet. I think I'm planning to still keep Jonathan and Madi together. I was thinking of History Odyssey, but now I'm leaning against it. We have Story of the World vol 1 and I definitely plan to use it, just not sure if it will be in conjunction with something else or if I need to do my own work to "beef it up" for high school credit. This will be something that I'll be scrutinizing at the convention. In the meantime, he's got quite a lot of Algebra left to finish (he didn't start until October). He has (I think) three more chapters to go through in General Science and he and Madi have 5 short chapters to finish in Story of the World Vol 2. Today in science he's learning about the digestive system...it sounds pretty gross when you read about it! In History Jonathan and Madi just took a test on Copernicus and Galileo. Yesterday we got lost in You Tube videos after searching for the Schoolhouse Rock song that talks about Galileo (Victim of Gravity). We even watched old videos of Spaceship Earth that are different from what it is now (of course we all remembered everything from before too...we're nerds that way).

Madi just got this and this and this and this in the mail yesterday and is eagerly getting started on it today! She will do Apologia General Science next year, and continue with Singapore Math through 6B. Jonathan went right from 6B to Algebra 1, the jury is still out on whether Madi will do Pre-Algebra next or go right to Algebra.

Jake just got all this in the mail yesterday and is almost as eager as Madi to get started. He thinks it is easy. It probably is a little easy and I think he'd probably do fine with the third grade work, but the second grade includes Sacrament preparation for his First Reconciliation and First Communion next year and he needs a little remedial help in that department!! He is in Singapore Math 2A right now and needs to measure all of our waists today...great huh? Don't you wish you were here so Jake could measure your waist too? Jake will continue with Five in a Row for a lot for the summer. We just did Who Owns the Sun last week. We've got our world and US maps quite full of story discs of all the books Jake's read this year.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I love looking at all the links! Must be the frustrated teacher in me! I'm glad Jake's measuring waists now and not in September!