Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Take a chance challenge #5


5. Phoning An Author. Pick a random last name out of the phone book. Find an author with the same last name and read a book by them. Write about it. (I'm flexible ... if the first random name you pick is Xprxyrsss, you can pick again!)





I randomly picked the name "Chippendale" out of the phone book, what can I say...it caught my eye! I chose to read Triumph of the Imagination the story of writer JK Rowling by Lisa A Chippendale. It was great!! It is a very short easy read. It is in a series of biographies about over coming adversity. The forward is written by James Scott Brady...did you know he and his wife championed the Brady Bill not because he was shot along with Ronald Reagan, but because when their son was 7 years old he found a loaded gun, and thinking it was a toy, pointed it at his mother? (this was written in the forward)

JK Rowling is a true genius! She overcame major adversity and went from being a single mother on public assistance to being the richest woman in England. I must add that she was only on public assistance for a short time, and she really hates how that is brought up so frequently. I personally believe she is among the greatest storytellers of all time. Even as a young girl she wrote stories and collected interesting names (if you've read any of the Harry Potter books, you'll know how great she is with names). I enjoyed this book, and now my 13 year old son (huge fan of anything Harry Potter) plans to read it as well.

To see more phone an author challenges go here.

1 comment:

Jenners said...

I can definitely see why this name caught your eye!!! Perhaps a journey to a male dance revue is needed soon?

Sounds like a fun book -- I just adore the Harry Potter books and I just love the whole J.K. Rowling story.