Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Diary of a bad mom

I always have a plethora of blog posts when I am no where near the computer. When I finally sneek in a few minutes on here, I'm not sure if I have anything worthwhile to say, and even if I do, I'm not sure how to say it.

Yesterday was one of those days with Jake where I wondered if he needs psychotherapy or something. Today he's back to normal and yesterday is just a memory of Jake-isms. This means that whatever I say about yesterday will just sound like cute little kid issues, but in the heat of it yesterday, I felt like I was the worst mom ever. Maybe because he was telling me that I am the worst mom ever. He "does ALL of the work around here and I do NOTHING!!" He "NEVER gets to have any fun!" Today Jake's math was a couple of games of RACKO, today he got to make brownies, and when I left to drop off "little X" (our babysit-ee) Jake was standing at the sink peeling a cucumber. (He is on kitchen duty this week and the mood had struck him that 3pm, when I was on my way out the door, was the perfect time to peel a cucumber). I said I silent prayer that he wouldn't cut off any fingers while I was gone, but I didn't stop him. Jonathan had already made it clear that he didn't want any part of being in charge of Jake cutting vegetables while I wasn't home. So when I arrived back home, only 10 minutes later, I was relieved to find no blood, and hear the sounds of Lego Rock Band blaring from the family room. Today I am choosing my battles. Jake is intense. He is unique. If he were in public school he might thrive. OR he might be diagnosed with a myriad of "issues". There were times when I thought if Jonathan were in public school he might be diagnosed with "issues" too (albeit different issues). Today I'm pretty sure Jonathan has no "issues". Someday I plan to feel the same way about Jake.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

We all have days like these so don't beat yourself up! Today sounds like a great day...
Maybe he was hormonal? Is it about his time of the month?

DebiH. said...

I have already claimed bad mom of the WEEK for this week. You can't have my title! :)

Unknown said...

Always remember that no matter how well we do at the job of parenting, all of our children will need therapy when they get older! We're just giving them good things to discuss with their therapist! And good things for their spouses to bring up during a heated discussion! :)

You're a great mom, Julie! If all of us were just half the woman you are...

Kirsten said...

My dear friend you are not a bad mom. You are the perfect mom for Jake because He gave him to you! I know you know that. One day at a time. right!?! That is what I tell myself anyway.
Love ya!