Friday, October 22, 2010
7 Quick Takes
For more 7 quick takes go here.
1. I never seem to post anymore. I am rarely on the real computer anymore. Between the kids being on here with their virtual school and me with my quick checks on my ipod, it's just not happening.
2. We got a dog this week!! Our dear friends who moved to Kentucky, who we miss terribly, needed to find a new home for their Welsh Crogi, Mickey, and our home was it! We "dogsat" Mickey last winter and fell in love with him then. He seems to be adjusting to us really well. (and us to him, although the picking up of poop is a little adjustment) Mike stayed home from work yesterday and put up considerably more of the fence. His goal is to have it completely done by Thanksgiving (we've got to be realistic).
3. It is show week, last night was opening night for the Wizard of Oz, and I wasn't there to see it. This is strange. The kids are not in this play because we were away in the end of August and beginning of Sept. Jonathan is doing the lights and Madi is the "bench manager" (as she likes to call herself) and the legs of the Wicked Witch of the East (the one that the house falls on). I did my part for opening night though besides the requisite brownie baking, I got to babysit Landon. We had a good night. I will watch the show tonight.
4. Jake turned 8 on Tuesday! We've been celebrating all week, including trips to Disney on Monday with friends, and Wednesday with Meme and Grampa Carlie. He's also having a small, small boy sleepover on the 5th.
5. Meme and Grampa Carlie gave Jake a pogo stick for his birthday. His record is already 225 jumps in a row, and he can also do it with no hands.
6. Generally speaking school is going well this year. Homeschooling high school is a whole new ball of wax and there is a lot to catch up on when a week includes two days at Disney. This is especially true of the virtual school classes. Jonathan is defintely the busiest one in the family. As I am writing this, I am also helping him to correct a Science test. Jake's schoolwork is going pretty well. I am really liking Catholic Heritage second grade for him. In a pinch he can get his core work done in an hour. Then he's free to analyze trivia about the presidents, perform his latest Veggie Tales show, or "pogo", he's nothing if not well rounded. Madi is still enjoying her virtual school classes (art and science) and is liking the CHC 7th grade stuff that she is doing too. The three of them are doing Ancient History together and will be taking a test on Ancient China in a few minutes. I haven't really amped it up for Jonathan's high school credit yet, there are only so many hours in the day. I do plan to have him read a lot of ancient stories, and we do have a collection of Henty books on CD, but we need to be home more to fit all of this stuff in. Less facebook probably wouldn't hurt either of us also!
7. Mike and I are really happy to be hosting a small Catholic group in our home on Monday nights. It is a program called Why Catholic by Renew International. It is a four year study, each "year" consisting of 6 sessions in the fall and 6 in the spring. We were blessed with a really great group, and I know these 6 weeks are going to fly by way too fast!