Tuesday, September 9, 2008

It worked!!!

Well the ancient mill actually worked! It isn't really ancient, it was purchased in 1983. This is the story, I had already decided I was going to jump into this whole milling thing, and had ordered a $300 mill. I was at the health food store looking for lechithin (an ingredient I'd need to make the bread when all my stuff came in). While I was in these I saw a small piece of paper advertising a grain mill for sale for $50. I had a few options...first just ignore that I saw that, second call one of my friends and let them know about it and stick with the expensive one I'd already ordered, or third call the number and check it out. I opted for 3, and spoke to a woman much older than I expected who used to grind flour for her family "back in the day". She said it was very heavy and in her car and could we meet somewhere so she could show it to me? We met at Theatre as I was picking up the kids. She had her even older husband with her (90s?), and I sort of felt sorry for them, so even though it looked old, heavy, and questionable I wrote her a check for $50 and heaved it into my car. It was in two old boxes with full of dead bugs and cobwebs. Then I called the bread company and cancelled my mill order. Somehow they deleted my wheat order as well, so I had to call again about a week later, looking for my wheat, and then finally it arrived. Yesterday was to be the day to try it. A change of plans found me at the nature center field trip, then some school work in the afternoon, and finally I found the time to get started. I lifted the 100lb (?) thing onto my counter and tried my best to clean out the bugs, grease, dust, and 20+ years of grime. We weren't even sure where the flour was actually going to come out. By then Mike had gotten home and he and the kids took on the task of getting it started. It falls somewhere in between how the little red hen ground her wheat and how the modern machines actually work, but for $50, I'd say the chance I took actually paid off. Who wants to come over for some cinnamon rolls?





6 comments:

Cheryl said...

if I were closer I would! they look so good! uhmm... it really did get cleaned of the bugs and stuff though, right?...

DebiH. said...

me!!! I would love to see how it works. Can I bring my kids to your house for a field trip?

Unknown said...

I'll be over in the morning! Looks great! Guess I know what Christmas presents are going to be this year! :)

crispy said...

I am proud of you for taking a chance. How wonderful and such great nutrition for your family.

Cindy said...

You guys are awesome-I love that it was a family project. Looks very yummy-wish I lived closer so I could try them!

Tiffany said...

That's great! And saved you $300. I can't wait to try something from your new milled wheat. The cinnamon rolls look great!